Our Territorial Acknowledgement
The Land that Pinay Collection operates and continues to benefit from has been home to the Haudenosaunee, Huron Wendat, Petun, Anishinaabek, Ojibwe and the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation. They have lived, worked, haunted and raised their families on this land and continue to do so despite colonial violence and oppression. Tkaronto, also known by its colonial name Toronto, is covered by the Dish with One Spoon Agreement. We would like to honour the First Peoples for their ongoing care and protection of the land that we are all dependent on.
We would also like to acknowledge that this land was built on the backs of Black people who were stolen from their own homelands and who continue to be brutalized, beaten, and murdered under this colonial and white supremacist system. May this remind us all how vital and urgent Anti-racism work is in our daily lives, communities and in our culture as Filipino people.
Resources to support our learning of Anti-Indigineity and solidarity building with Indigenous communities:
- Find out whose Indigenous Land you are on at https://native-land.ca/
- Building allyship with Indigenous Communities. Here's a page of resources courtesy of Living Hyphen.
- Build your knowledge on the realities of Indigenous Peoples of the Philippines through this wealth of resources via IKAT Voices' website.
- Read this report by the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.
- Support books, music, and other forms of media from Indigenous creators.